What is Biotechnology?
WHAT IS BIOTECHNOLOGY?
Biotechnology is a technique for combining many biological organisms and is a derivative for creating new products or variations of living things.
STARTING OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
In 1973 Herbert Boer and Stanley Cohen explored the possibilities of DNA recombinant technology and laid the foundation and development of biotechnology.
What is in Biotechnology?
APPLICATIONS OF BIOTECH
- In Agricultural field : GM (genetically modified) crops are produced. It is resistant to pests.Produced rice crops are resistant to water. Ex: Okhara, Bt Cotton and Eggplant
- In Pharmaceutical industries : Insulin is manufactured using bacteria produced using biotech. Insulin was extracted from pigs, caused irritation in humans as a side effect. Currently biotechnological insulin is used from bacteria and produced as a biotech product.Further it increased the production of insulin. Apart from its low cost, it also has no side effects.
- In Food industries :Biotech has applications in food industries. By using biotech products such as enzymes, it has improved the quality of food products, and flavor.
- In Medical sector : With the use of certain machinery and biotech, fatal diseases like cancer and AIDS can be diagnosed.
- Gene Therapy : In white mouse using tests and applications of biotechnologically contaminated genes, genes can be identified replaced with normal ones. Gene therapy
is a trend because people nowadays conduct gene therapy to develop new abilities and skills.
So you must have got the answers for what is in biotechnology…
What is Biotechnology?
What is Biotechnology?|SCOPES AND FUTURE
There are two ways to pursue a career in biotechnology:
1)B.E/B.tech in Biotechnology
2)B.Sc in Biotechnology
But both have different ways of working, if after pursuing B.tech, an interested person would be working in the industrial sector. Working in R&D wing will be more.
Food industries require B.tech holders
Whereas a B.Sc is not sufficient for a satisfactory job. Further, one may pursue M.Sc in Biotech and proceed to PhD. A confusion always arise among the aspirants that what to do after bsc biotechnology. They can go for Msc in biotech. A biotechnologist can do lot more. Further, they can go to industrial, pharmaceutical as well as agricultural field. Finally, one can setup their own biotech firms.
The aspirants after the Masters will be doing more work with the thesis, more theoretical work than applications. After PhD, you can go for both research and teaching. So you got the answers for what to do after bsc biotechnology…
UPCOMING POSSIBILITIES IN BIOTECH
In China it has seen a major growth in biotech industries. The main national body of biotech in the country is the National Biotechnology Development Center of China.
China has the largest pharmaceutical companies after the United States, such as CIPLA, so the need is greater for a country with the largest number of population. Apart from this, the requirement of meat is huge, so stem cell cultivation is creating revolution in biotech China’s meat industry.
Above all, researches on stem cells are underway in the country. Also, country is getting serious in its efforts to expand the field.
What is Biotechnology?
As the population in the world is under increasing pressure on agriculture,therefore ,the use of biotech is increasing in countries like India. Biotech companies such as Biocon and Panacea Biotech and Bharat Biotech have very high numbers and these companies are growing and India ranks 12th in the world in development of biotech and third in Asia Pacific.
Above all, European biotech has been a good value for investors. By 2018, the average size of biotech M&A deals in Europe had grown to $ 165 million.
The government funds Biotech pharmaceutical companies in Scotland for new research and ventures. As a result, places like Glasgow are more of biotechnological Institutes as well as biotech companies.
What is Biotechnology? | Top colleges to study biotech
- Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)
- Delhi Technological University (DTU)
- Jawaharlal University (JNU)
- Vellore Institute Of Technology (VIT)
- Amity University
What is Biotechnology? | Top colleges to study biotech abroad
- Glasgow University, UK
- Dukes University, UK
- Columbia University, USA
- University Of Aberdeen, UK
- Warwick University, Uk
- Heidelberg University, Germany
There are great scopes for this sector. As a result, the jobs are also increasing for research. Therefore, we can see the wonders of this field in coming days…